Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh man! Are You Okay?

Injuries are prevalent in every sport and can prevent athletes from performing at their best and even ending their careers. 

Mouth guards, joint braces, and head gear are out there and readily available, but why don't more athletes use protection?
                  
                 Knee brace usually seen after ligament injuries
Concussion head gear




It seems like they only decide to use extra gear after they get hurt.
The sensors are on the sides underneath the molar teeth.
Mark Dillon, Irish investor, has developed a new mouth guard that has sensors embedded that is connected to a program that shows if an athlete has suffered a serious but hidden head injury. Dillon was concerned about the head injuries in full-contact sports. He calls this mouth guard the "Mamori" which means protect in Japanese.

Football and ice hockey are some of the toughest contact sports and helmets can protect a lot, but unfortunately concussions are unavoidable in these sports. 

With many kids and teens beginning these sports are such a young age, protection gear is so important to prevent early injuries that could stunt growth or cause permanent damage at such a young age.

2 comments:

  1. With the amount of injuries and broken bones and torn muscles I've had (I wanna say a running count of 23?) I could be a sponsor for protective equipment. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points, I wish I would of listened to my doctors when I was younger. Took me twenty years to finally realize the importence of concussions. I can't image how NFL players feel after there career.

    ReplyDelete